Happy Father’s Day, everyone! We spent a fun-filled day celebrating our Fathers: Grandpa White, Dad, and Brent (Joe’s dad)! They are all such wonderful examples to our family! I hope you all had a great day celebrating the dads in your life too!
I tried a rather non-traditional main dish for Father’s Day lunch: homemade macaroni and cheese. But, since lots of cheese makes any dish a favorite in my family, we went through 1.5 casserole dishes of it! This recipe is really rich (are you noticing a theme in my recipes?), and it is now among my favorites of comfort food recipes. It’s right up there next to sour cream potatoes (a.k.a. funeral potatoes).
Macaroni and Cheese
4 Tbsp Butter
3 c macaroni
2 cans evaporated milk
1/3 c skim milk
1/2 tsp seasoned salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt
16 oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese
8 oz shredded monterey jack cheese
1/4 c fine bread crumbs
Optional: diced ham
- Heat oven to 375°F
- Use some of the butter and rub it over a 9 x 13 in. baking dish
- Cook macaroni noodles
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together evaporated milk, skim milk, 2 eggs, seasoned salt, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- After noodles are finished cooking, drain and melt the rest of the butter over the noodles.
- Spread a layer of noodles on the bottom of the baking dish, then layer a portion of cheeses on top. Again, spread the rest of the noodles over the layer of cheese, and finish by topping the noodles with the rest of the cheese.
- Whisk your milk ingredients one more time, then pour over the noodles and cheese.
- Sprinkle the bread crumbs and paprika over the top (diced ham too, if desired).
- Bake for about 35 to 45 minutes.
Here’s Dad enjoying mac ‘n cheese! I apologize in advance for my cheesiness, but I just have to say on this Father’s Day how much I admire, appreciate, and love my Dad! He is seriously top notch! He’s so talented and smart, while still maintaining such humility. He always makes me laugh, and I just love being with him. Dad is one of the only people in the world who understands me, and he’s always been there for me. I always knew that even if the whole world was against me, I was still always loved by my Dad. Words are completely inadequate to express how awesome he is and how much I look up to him, but I just hope he knows how much I love him and how grateful I am for him every day!